This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Sean Sean 1 year, 8 months ago.

Installing

• CurtisKelleher
    Participant

Member Reply #6058

I am having trouble with installing. I did not realize that it had no functionality when I brought it, like I brought it thinking about all the questions about building your own cms due to security issues. Is this CMS not secure? Does it have to be secured by us the “Customers”?

It would be helpful in the future for video tutorials to be provided showing how to get it functioning, just to give customers a base to work of.

Finally, is it possible to combined this theme with a cms that has been properly secured by team of developers. For example combinding it with Joombla or OCPortal?

Thanks

Sean
    Sean
    Keymaster

Support Staff Reply #6065

Hi :),

Thanks for your feedback.

Basically to utilize Metronic in your custom site or application you will need some experience in end to end web development since this theme is not for non-developer users. Metronic is basically an HTML theme(built with HTML, javascript and css) without actual functionality(the database integration and application business model). The actual implementation is responsibility of buyers. Basically any web applications/systems contain of 2 layers:

1) Design and Frontend UI(html, css, javascript)

2) Actual system implementation using a server side language such as PHP or Java, and database engine such as MySQL or Oracle.

So our Metronic theme, as an HTML theme helps you on the step #1. The step #2 will be responsibility of the buyers as every buyer has own requirements and system specification.

If you need any further clarifications please let us know. For more info you can check our FAQ here:
    http://themeforest.net/item/metronic-responsive-admin-dashboard-template/4021469/support

To stay updated on Metronic’s new releases please follow us on http://twitter.com/keenthemes ūüėČ

Thanks.

steeld
    Participant

Member Reply #6108

Sean is correct. You are buying the front-end visual theme and not the back-end server functionality. It gives a developer the possibility to do whatever they want and not worry about the presentational aspects of a web site. In my case, I broke the template down into a series of PHP includes and combined it with a MySQL database to hold the data. You need some experience of PHP, database and Web development to do this. When you have it all working, Metronic is a really accomplished theme and can save a lot of front-end development.

If you want a more complete solution but without the fine control that this approach offers, consider using WordPress and using one of the ready-made templates for that.

David

Sean
    Sean
    Keymaster

Support Staff Reply #6128

Appreciate your clarification @steeld ūüôā

radiated1112
    Participant

Member Reply #6205

@steeld I wouldnt know how to do this but I would be open to paying you to help me do it or walk me throught it.

Sean
    Sean
    Keymaster

Support Staff Reply #6207

Hi,

If you can provide more details about your project i think the support and community will be able to point you out. What server side language you are going to use ? Have you setup you local development environment ? How are you going to you Metronic ? As an admin panel interface for your application ?

Thanks.

radiated1112
    Participant

Member Reply #6212

as an admin panel for my website because I dont have an admin panel or anything. Server side language, well which one is best for the cpanel I host with godaddy so I probably have options, and no I dont have a local testing environment.

steeld
    Participant

Member Reply #6213

@radiated1112, that’s a tricky one! What do you know already? Do you know about HTML, scripting languages, MySQL (or other databases) and general web site building? Do you have web space where you can host your own site? Does your web space¬†support databases and scripting languages?

Buying a theme is a bit like buying a new kitchen from a showroom. You’ve seen something you like and are happy with the way it hangs together so you buy it. However, to turn it into a working kitchen in your home, you need expertise in tiling, flooring, carpentry, plumbing and electrics. If you can’t do this yourself then you have to ask experts and give them access to your house and to do the work for¬†you. It’s possible for you to buy the tools and learn the skills but don’t expect to achieve success overnight.

So, as Sean says, tell us a bit more about what you want to do and what skills you have and we may be able to help you. However, as you are having to ask, I really feel that you want to be looking at something like https://wordpress.com/ where the tricky stuff is handled for you. There are other web site builders beside WordPress of course, but I have picked something popular and well-supported. Once you got experience of this, you can try hosting your own WordPress site and beyond that, start building highly-customised sites with leading templates like Metronic.

If you are willing to pay then look for web designers in your local area. Look at examples of what they’ve done or ask people you know with web sites who built theirs.

I’m not trying to put you off but I have been building web sites for years (and I still consider myself an amateur!). My early sites were all hand-crafted HTML. Later I moved onto ready-made CMS like WordPress and Joomla! These didn’t give me the flexibility I wanted so I taught myself PHP and built my own custom sites. However, styling and CSS are not amongst my strengths and just as much time was spent getting the interface right as was getting the back-end functionality to give me what I wanted. This is where Metronic came in for me – it gave me a rich front-end so I didn’t have to worry about the presentational aspects. OK, I had to do a bit of work to make it modular so I could pull in common functionality using PHP includes, but it has saved me a lot of time.

For example, this is a cut-down version of one of my PHP scripts.  Most of my scripts look similar but the content in the middle is different. This is how I make Metronic work for me.

<?php

//========================================================================

// admin_listusers.php (Metronic)

//========================================================================

include 'core/init.php';

protect_page();

admin_protect();

$page_title = "Manage Users";

include "include/header.php";

include "include/topbar.php";

include "include/menu.php";

?>

<!-- BEGIN PAGE CONTAINER -->

<div class="page-container">

<!-- BEGIN PAGE CONTENT -->

<div class="page-content">

<!--

Content here to query database and pull back list of users to display in a table.

This is a combination of HTML, PHP and MySQL statements but using Metronic styles

and Javascripts to render the table like the Metronic template

-->

</div>

<!-- END PAGE CONTENT -->

</div>

<!-- END PAGE CONTAINER -->

<?php

include "include/footer-copyright.php";

include "include/footer-tables.php";

?>

I’m not sure if this lengthy reply helps or hinders your request for assistance.

David

radiated1112
    Participant

Member Reply #6214

I am very familiar with HTML MYSQL and CSS yes and I have worked with them before, I dont as much write the HTML and CSS from scratch as I do edit premade stuff. I plan on going to school for web design as its my major passion but I am at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of skill level I am a beginner at best, for example you tell me to do something and detail how to do it I could reproduce the effects and make things work but unless you told me how I wouldnt know where to start. I am trying to build a custom site that isnt like WordPress or Invision Power Board I dont really care for either and I know that they come fully deployable meaning I wouldnt have to write any extra php or anything. In fact I use IPB and I can say it is nice but I am trying to make an ecommerce website for a friend so that he can sell products, he doesnt have money to pay a serious programmer so I offered to try to help for free. If at all possible I was hoping for free guidance on the subject as I dont really have any money either. Basically we (me and my friend) are looking to setup a store for his business and use this theme as the backend admin control panel. also I should note that your metaphor was funny and it definitely helped me understand what you were trying to say now. and trust me youre not going to put me off from my dreams of being a web dev, I mean I am already programming games and game servers and im a junior in high school. Anyways I hope this info is what you needed.

steeld
    Participant

Member Reply #6215

I’m glad I haven’t put you off. With determination, you’ll succeed but be careful to learn to walk before you try running else you might disappoint yourself. We all have to start somewhere and setting goals is good but keep them realistic. I launched my first commercial web site 20 years ago and that was searching a DEC VAX-hosted database from a web page – leading edge in those days! I am largely self-taught but it has taken time to acquire expertise since it isn’t really part of my day job.

It’s possible to get e-commerce templates for WordPress and Joomla! I know you’d rather build your own but you could produce something quickly with these to get your friend started and then you can develop something more advanced as a Mk2 version and as a learning exercise for you at your own pace. Good luck.

David

Sean
    Sean
    Keymaster

Support Staff Reply #6217

Totally Agree with @steeld. Metronic can suite if you are developing something unique that you can’t get with a popular one source CMSes like Joomla, WordPress, etc. Apart from using Metronic for your current project you can also use it as a starting point to learn the frontend development. Metronic has a lot samples for you to quickly get started and learn how to put all the popular frontend libraries together and utilize them nicely for any purpose. Feel free to ask if you need more clarifications.

christophe
    Participant

Member Reply #6439

Hello there,

I’m developer in a company¬†who’s¬†planning to purchase Metronic and I would like to know if, once we’ve purchase it, you can provide us the live preview source code (http://www.keenthemes.com/preview/metronic/theme/admin_1/), backend and front-end to make our¬†installation easier?

Thanks in advance for your reply (and sorry if I should have write it in another topic).

Regards,

Christophe

Sean
    Sean
    Keymaster

Support Staff Reply #6462

Hi,

After purchasing the theme you will get all 7 demo admin layouts and templates as you seen in the demo.
    But the server side part you will implement your own according to your project requirements. The theme provides only frontend user interface for your application.

If you need any further clarifications please let us know.
    Thanks

christophe
    Participant

Member Reply #6531

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m playing with Metronic right now, cutting it in some php files. Everything’s fine and the team is positively impressed by the quick result.

You did a great job!

Thanks,

Christophe

Sean
    Sean
    Keymaster

Support Staff Reply #6560

Hi christophe,

Glad to hear that. I hope you will enjoy further working with Metronic. Good luck with your project!

Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.